PRINCETON, NJ – Down by four early and trailing by two goals heading into the final period, the Summit High School Girls Varsity Ice Hockey Team opened the goal taps to maximum effect, finding the back of the net a whopping eight times over the final frame en route to a 14-10 victory over Oak Knoll at the Lisa McGraw Skating Rink.
Almost as impressive as the sum surge was the fact that all eight Maroon and White tallies occurred consecutively, turning an 8-6 deficit into a 14-8 lead in a span of 10:19. Other notable numbers attached to the Hilltoppers’ goal deluge included:
- Freshman Leah Rubinshteyn began the blitz with two goals 31 seconds apart.
- When junior Emily Sharpe fired home, it was three goals in 1:34.
- After taking a three-minute ‘breather’, Summit scored four goals — through senior Grace Donohue, junior Lily Neilan and sophomores Maisie Hiltabrand and Grace Hannigan — in a span of 2:38.
- Rubinshteyn put the cherry on the Sunday special by closing out the surge with her Hat Trick goal.
As could be expected when a team scores 14 goals, there were some pretty prodigious personal point performances, including:
- A Hat Trick and four points for Neilan.
- Four goals and six points for Rubinshteyn, who now has 24 goals on the season through 12 games.
- Four-point days for Hannigan and Sharpe (who had three assists).
- Three-point games from Donohue and Hiltabrand.
Senior goaltender Julia Oppici stopped 23 shots in the triumph.
Next up for Summit, now 9-3 on the season, is a January 9 face-off against Immaculate Heart at the Warinanco Skating Center. Game time is set for 5 p.m.